Total Knee Joint Replacement
Are You Considering Knee Replacement Surgery?
Each patient is unique, but generally candidates for knee replacement surgery have:
- Pain severe enough to restrict not only work and recreation, but also the routine activities of daily living
- Pain that is not relieved by more conservative methods of treatment, such as reduced activity, medication or physical therapy
- Significant joint stiffness and loss of mobility
- X-rays that show advanced arthritis or other degenerative problems
1. National Institutes of Health Consensus Development Conference Statement: Total Knee Replacement 12/10/03.
2. AAOS website, http://orthoinfo.aaos. org/topic.cfm?topic=A00385, accessed April 2011.